Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Deterrent Tea

You can see my previous garden post here, but as you know my sunflowers have been getting chomped on lately.  Unacceptable, but I didn't want to use a pesticide on the sunflowers because I plan on harvesting their delicious seeds.
I researched and found a recipe for an all natural pest-deterrent made from items you may have in your kitchen already.  I altered the ingredients because I was lazy and didn't want to run to the store, but it still works.

Word to the wise, you will need to apply it every 2 days, or more if it's been raining, because it washes away.

  
You'll need..
  • Food Processor/ Blender
  • A pot with lid
  • Spray Bottle
  • Bowl
  • Spoon
  • Fine Strainer/ Cheese cloth
  • 7 cups of water
  • 3 whole garlics
  • 1/2 cup of red pepper flakes
  • 2/5 cup of Chile pepper
  • 2 Table Spoons of Vegetable oil
  • 2 Table Spoons of ALL NATURAL UNSCENTED laundry detergent
  1. Peel and chop your garlic using 1 cup of water.
  2. Strain the garlic to get as much juice out of it as possible.
  3. You might want to process it again after the first round of straining by adding another cup of water and pressing on the strainer with a spoon to juice the garlic.  Set aside juice.
  4. Put the garlic remnants aside.
  5. Add the Pepper Flakes and Chile Pepper to the remaining 5 cups of water. 
  6. Bring the Pepper Tea to a boil, remove from heat, and let stand for 30 minutes.
  7. When the Pepper Tea is cool strain it and add it to the garlic juice.
  8. Add your strained pepper flakes to your discarded garlic bowl. optional:
    I scattered the discarded pepper flakes and garlic around my sunflower garden to emphasize the smell.  It didn't look so pretty so if you're worried about aesthetics I would skip this part.
    To make this mixture stick to your plants we need to add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of ALL NATURAL UNSCENTED laundry detergent.  I emphasise all natural and unscented to A. Be okay for the environment B.Not to be scented to attract any critters.
  9. Spay frequently ( I spray every 2 days or after it rains)  your mixture will coat the plant with a reddish tint. 
SOME FAQs
Will it make my produce/seeds spicy?
No (unfortunately) it will not, it washes right off.
Will it stain?
It will stain your clothes, I sprayed this mixture on my strawberry plants (with white flowers) and they only a rainshower away from being white again.
Will it harm my young plants?I put it on young seedlings (1-2 inches) and they have been just fine.

FYI- This stuff is spicy, don't rub your eyes!! (before adding the soap/oil) I tried a finger dip, it was HOT for me and I adore spicy...I'm rethinking this as a marinade for hot wings.



UPDATE!
It's been 2 weeks since I applied this mixture and I have noticed that the ants have left my plants alone as well as caterpillars and groundhogs.  I hope the plants bounce back from their chomp!  I have also sprayed the mixture on my strawberries and the squirrels have left them alone too.  I even use them on my tomato plants.

I have begun a replacement crop for my sunflowers on my fire escape/ terrace and plan to replace the badly damaged plants.  I am also going to fence in the sunflower bed, that's one of the next DIYs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...