Friday, June 3, 2011

...how does your garden grow?

As promised, here are current pictures of my garden.  Please excuse the dried grass in the garden (my landlord mowed the lawn and left me to clean up...thanks?), that will be this weekend's project.  I learned a few things.
1. Rose bushes like to be cut before spring season, I did this and It BLOOMED there are tons of gorgeous playboy roses. Compared them to last year here.
2. Don't expect your bulbs all come up, my ranunculus did, but not my tricyrtis, I'm still hoping for next year.
3. Learn what poison ivy, oak, and sumac look like, this year (thus far) I've managed to rip it up, and not get it... last year over the course of a summer I was lucky enough to get it 3 times.
4. Weed your garden a little bit every 2 weeks, it keeps it looking fresh and doesn't make it confusing when bulbs are coming up.
5. PLAN your space, I read this in Martha Stewart's Living (one of my favorites), I didn't do this and before I knew it I was planting two many conflicting plants.  Rule of thumb, high growers in back, to low in front, this year I have a hodgepodge because of my travels and randomly picking plants I see and like.  From the garden store to (admittedly) pulling over on the side of the highway for wildflowers that I MUST have.  Really, I did this 3 weekends ago and love my purple flowers  that I dug up and transplanted in my garden.  Word to the wise: Don't be greedy ( I only took 2 plants), and don't transplant flowers that aren't native- you don't want an invasive species in your backyard.  To put it lightly I am going to have to transplant and replant next year to get things in order...at least I'm learning right? RIGHT!
 6. LOOK FOR GREEN OPTIONS... I know it is frustrating when you have a garden being eaten away by something... just ask my sunflowers.  I was going to spray pesticides but if I am going to harvest and eat the seeds later, I don't want to.
I am going to brew a Garlic Pepper tea to spray on my plants, I got the recipe here.  I can't wait to try it this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...