Thursday, August 4, 2011

The art of website masking for your wedding website.

Venue picked and booked, check.  Wedding suit, check.  Everything else ...
I must say that it's so great to have a supportave team mate in this wedding process, Steve has wonderful and sensible logic, while I can let the creativeness take over.  Case in point: Steve: Did we fill out the contract to book the place?  Me: These paper lanterns would look great it the reception loft....
It takes two.


Which comes to the least fun part of a wedding (for most) duhhun ddduuun ddduuuuuN ... budget.


Like fucker, budget is a six letter word.

I will go right out and say our budget is... $10,000.00*

*things not included in budget are, suit (already purchased), engagement/wedding rings, honeymoon, wedding dress.  My logic is A. They were purchased before said budget, and B. Are like presenats to ourselves, yes that's what I am going with.

I am no mathematician, my fiance teaches Physics and Chemistry (therefore he is).

I am great with budgeting, I clip coupons from the Sunday paper filing them in alphabetic order for our hour+ shopping trip.  I'm a sale-a-holic and rarely purchase anything at retail.  A fiscal budget... such as what percentage to be alloted to what... I'm clueless...

Enter Wedding Wire.

We already knew that to save paper, hence trees, we would be utilizing a wedding website that could post multiple pages such as multiple RSVPs (Engagement, Shower, Rehearsal, Wedding), Maps, Accomadations, that way our invites would be lighter.

The websires are neat, but behind the scenes we can use an app to balance our budget.  You simply enter your dollar amount and it separates where your budget should go, everytime you save money it redistributes the saved money amonst your categories; Catering, Transportation, Accomidation, Attire, etc.

The website templates aren't cheesy and feature designs from Martha Stewart and Several Stationary companies.  There is also no advertising space on your site and you have the option to completely customize it.

Another great thing is IT'S FREE!  Some other websites try to bundle things like Your Own Custom Domain Name included... for 60.00 bucks for a year, not terrible, but when stretching a 10,000.00 budget things can easily add up.

Here's a secret...
You don't need to pay that much.  If you use a free site, for example weddingwire.com/mrandmrsneff.  Build it and then you can purchase your own domail name (mrandmrsneff.com) from a place like GoDaddy, then use a feature they have called masking.

Masking takes mrandmrsneff.com when you type into web address bar and fowards it seamlessly to weddingwire.com/mrandmrsneff.  No one will know but you (and now you guys since I'm sharing).

Which ever place you buy your domain name from, I use GoDaddy for 11.99 for a year, will have masking directions.  I use GoDaddy for this blog and when I called them I spoke to a real person, who walked me through the steps on how to do it. 

ps I am not endorsed by GoDaddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...