Tuesday, July 5, 2011

sweet sweet patriotism

I have news for you, I love America. 
Apple Pies, Red White and Blue, Bagel Lox and Cream Cheese (ok so it's a NY thing) Local breweries, seeing American flags on the front porch flag poles, seeing everyone who celebrates 4th of July, our Independence day, sitting together under fireworks no matter what walk of life or country you're originally from....love it all. (not to mention the star spangled banner that is sung after fireworks every year by myself and a special few- you know who you are)
To me that's when summer has set in, when I see all of these things (and it also reminds me that my July 8th birthday is right around the corner).
When we were in Corolla, NC I couldn't help but buy some Sparklers, Morning Glories, and Roman Candles... my little brother was visiting from Nashville and we lit them up!

I stashed a box away and decided to incorporate the sparklers for a festive feel to top the cake.

We had a little BBQ and I (am sorry I skimped on the pictures) felt the need to make a patriotic cake.  We had just came back and were exhausted so I decided to nix the scratch.

Patriot's Cake
  • 1 Box Angle Food Cake (follow their directions)
  • 1 Bunt round
  • 1 Whipped White Icing
  • Fresh Strawberries
  • Fresh Blueberries
  • Frosting Spatula
  • Baking rack

1. Make the cake as directed and allowed it to cool for 45 minutes.
2. (Don't be cheap) use the entire container of icing and frost the cake.
3. Cut the strawberries leaves off and then into slices (from tip to leaves).
4. Make a pretty pattern with the strawberries and blueberries.
5. I stuck 5 sparklers (like a 5 point star) in the cake and lit it.

mmm, mm...sweet, sweet, patriotism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...