Thursday, June 30, 2011

banana bread for your homestead

Obviously by the title of this blog - I love banana bread.  I don't know about you, but we are guilty of over buying produce (example : bananas) and then not making it until it comes to "Shit! We have to use this stuff."
That's why I love this recipe.

You need the bananas to be mushy, black (sans mold) and over ripe.

When I wasn't working as much I used to make it all the time, but I haven't in a while...until I noticed  our fruit bowl was full of over ripe bananas.

BONUS: This week we are traveling to Corolla, NC.  If my snack can brave LaGuardia Airport and TSA without getting (too) smashed - we can all enjoy.

There are a million alterations to my original recipe.
Here are some yummies to add
Berries, a coffee cake crumble top (see bottom), nuts, dried chopped apricots, chocolate chips, raisins... or (if your feeling daring) all of the above.  For this particular batch I am going tame because I am not sure if any one has nut allergies, etc...


Banana Bread (for your homestead)

2 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat!)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2-3 Overripe smashed bananas

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.  Or use these- they make individual little loaves and cook faster than the hour cook time- if you have a toaster oven and use these they will only cook in 45 minutes- The previous two were tips from my Bubbie (yiddish for grandma) sometimes Bubbies know best when it comes to baking...but shhh don't tell them!
  3. In a large bowl, combine EVERYTHING!  You will get an arm work out.  I personally like chunks in my b.bread but if you don't - beat the eggs, sugar and bananas in a separate dish until it's smooth, then combine everything.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
  5. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.


For a nutty coffee cake crumble on top
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar (i like mixing white and brown for this)
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cold butter
Teaspoon of Cinnamon
Add ingredients together and fold, you want a lumpy consistency, you have to use cold butter to obtain the lumps... Crumble over batter in pans and bake as directed above.


enjoy.


Update: Banana Bread was successfully transported and made a great addition to an early morning snack before fishing, it didn't last past day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...