Sunday, July 17, 2011

save a dish, bbq a fish

* Forgive me on the lack of pictures as of late.  My camera broke on my birthday and I just replaced (and seriously  upgraded) this week.  More posts and pictures are coming soon.

Moving on: as noted here we went fishing while in Corolla, NC.  There were several fishing boat outings that week and just between our family outing alone, we caught 24 perch and 18 blue crabs.  Another boat load of relatives caught mackerel and shark.  Needless to say we ate like queens and kings.
I don't know about you, but I love to BBQ.  Added bonus :the dish it saves me (or Steve) to wash.

Here's a fun way to make fish, especially previously frozen fish and keep it juicy! 

Sans Dish, BBQ Fish
ingredients
  • 4-6 small fillets Wild Caught Fish/ Thawed 1 TBS Salted Butter
  • Fresh minced garlic
  • Oregano
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Paprika
  • Bay leaves (dry is fine)
  • White wine (but not so much where your fillets start to swim again *i couldn't help myself.)
  • Half a lemon
  • Cut peppers and onions
  • BBQ
  • 2 long sheets of Aluminum Foil
  1. While you prep preheat your BBQ.  It doesn't need to be on high, fish cook very fast.
  2. I am not even going to try to explain how to scale and fillet a wild fish, Steve and I (Steve did 20 fish, I managed to do 4) tried our best but I think we need some lessons from a seasoned fisherman. 
  3. Put some cut peppers and onions
  4. Lay the fish on a long sheet of foil, you want enough to be able to crimp and make a pocket with the additional top layer.
  5. Pat the minced garlic of the fillets.
  6. Chop your butter into multiple thin slices and lay over the fillets.
  7. Pour your white wine so reaches each fillet, but not submerged.
  8. Add your seasonings to taste.
  9. Place bay leaf on each fish.
  10. Make a pocket and seal it completely.
  11. Place on a part of the BBQ that gets even heat and cook for approx 10-15 minutes or until your fish flakes off with a fork and separates from skin easily.  I usually open the pocket to check.  You will open it to find steamy yummy goodness.
  12. Finish with lemon and serve.
enjoy!




Before
 

After


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...