Wednesday, July 27, 2011

legacy

I know the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art opened in May, but it's so hard to get people together because of weddings, bbq's, birthdays, vacations, hangovers, etc...

 

Finally my two friends and I ventured to the city. It was a scorching hot but great time to behold the works of Alexander McQueen, though anytime would be a good one.  I have nothing of his, but have always admired his aesthetic and ode to exaggerated womanly Victorian shapes, bondage, animal prints, and construction merged into a wearable canvas that can't help but captivate your attention.  Granted none of the pieces I could ever wear (or afford), but I can appreciate how visually rich it all is.  I have seen pictures, but just the sheer construction and manipulation of natural and unusual objects (ie: shells, human hair, ect...) to form the silhouettes still has my boggled.  There were videos playing of the runway shows, and I was hypnotized - he was so theatrical, something fashion has lost along the way.

Walking through the crowd reading his quotes and looking at his masterpieces, I felt a pang of sadness.  It reminds me that your work is your legacy, better to complete it, then to leave it in notebooks. 

As I was there I saw a girl sketching one of McQueen's creations and I felt happy that he has inspired (me) so many and continues to.  Legacy.
 
I may post a couple of sneaky pics I took.  Still considering, they're not the best quality.

Furthermore on that day, I found out that Amy Winehouse passed.  I was a huge fan of Frank and also Back to Black. 

 I had been following Amy Winehouse since 2006-2007 after her last album, for years. Waiting and waiting for her to release a new album, deep down I knew it was never going to happen.  The saddest part for me is that her tumultuous personal life took the spotlight away from her talented vocal and songwriting abilities.  I hope she is at peace finally.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...