Sunday, June 5, 2011

Eggplant Farmer Johnny


I enjoy cooking and baking things I never have before.  But not nearly as much as I enjoy making family recipes.  From my Mom's famous biscuits and gravy, my Bubbie's Garlic Baked Salmon, my Great Grandmother's Kasha Varnishka, or my Aunt's Eggplant Parmesan (there are many, many, many more from these matriarchs that I cannot wait to share) it's nice to share memories though recipes while making new ones with all the important people in my life.  I haven't had my aunt's version in many years but it was so good that a second (and a half) portion was sometimes necessary.
This particular recipes is from my Aunt's Eggplant Parmesan-but we always called it Eggplant FarmerJohnny
1 Large Eggplant (1lb)
1 Jar Tomato, Garlic Basil Sauce (no Ragu, that stuff is gross) and a sauce pot
2 Eggs
Mozzarella Cheese
Plate of Bread crumbs (Italian Style)
Plate with paper towels to absorb oil from eggplant
Seasoning- Garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and a drop of sugar (to counteract the sometimes acidity of the tomato sauce)
Garnish with Garden Basil
Cooking oil (the sliced eggplant should be floating in the oil, but don't overdo it)
Large frying pan
Oven preheated to 350
Preheat oven to 350.
After washing your eggplant lay it on it's side and slice no more that 1/4 inch thick circles.  Leave the skin on.
Beat 2 eggs in a bowl large enough to accommodate quite a few eggplant slices.
Pour breadcrumbs into a plate, little by little that way you don't waste breadcrumbs.
At this time pour cooking oil (canola, vegetable, olive oil whichever your choice I use veg.) into pan and heat on high.
Also, put tomato sauce on low-med heat to warm while you're frying and add seasoning to taste.
Dunk the eggplant slices into the egg.
Bread the eggplant and set aside ( *DISH SAVER- I use the edge of my breadcrumb plate to save on dishes and stack it tall!)
Fry the slices until golden brown on each side.
Place them on plate with a paper towel in between each batch.
After frying follow this order of assembly.
Sauce-Eggplant-Sauce-Cheese-Eggplant-Sauce-Cheese continue with cheese ending.
Garnish with fresh basil from garden or grocery.
Heat in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This step is optional- for that browned cheese I switch to broil setting for 3-5min on 350.
Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...