Thursday, August 18, 2011

Barbie!

I learned how to be a woman from a lot of really great women.  My Mom, Aunt, Bubbie, Great-Grandmother...oh yea and...
True Story.

My family saves everything, if anything, I am the one to say -it's time for this to go.  Choice objects are part of the pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands category...childhood dress up clothes, musical instruments, and Barbie.

Recently, I went through some of my childhood goodies to prepare and share.  Besides costume jewelry and silky leopard print scarfs, I found my Barbies and put them aside for someone special.  I was a girlie-girl with tom-boy tendencies.  Thinking of the women who taught me about women-hood.

Some things that come to mind:
Shiny jewelry and brooches from my G.Grandma, nail polish, my G.Grandma's bright colored lipstick (that doubled as rouge for her cheeks, which I do also), the fascination with watching my Aunt apply make up and do her hair, for work, putting in Bubbie's earrings before she'd leave for work in the mornings- The smell of Obsession by Calvin Klein mixed with the Oil Of Olay ( which I always thought was one word - pronounced Oil-vah-lay), My Mom having the amazing ability to put you in a head lock, eat a sandwich with dirt and mulch on her hands after gardening, and then get gussied up.  I loved getting hand-me-downs (still do) from all of the above.  HMM... I should do a post about hand-me-down fashion.  That could be a fun one. (Insert Family Guy Tangent here)
 At 6:30am before work, I took out the Barbie's from my childhood complete with the circa late 80's-early 90's ball gowns and mismatched shoes.  Some kids may be jaded and see "Old Barbies."  Not this kid, she immediately lit up and recognized a Jasmine (from Aladdin) doll that I had when I was her age.  I still have her original clothes, and the pants for the missing Aladdin doll.  It was special to see someone appreciate them as I did, once upon a time. Watching her dress up the dolls with the clothes and accessories strewn about the floor made me a bit nostalgic and got me thinking back to what I loved when I was a little girl.  More importantly, things I hope to share with this little girl.  As I got ready for work she helped me put my necklace on and wore my flower barrette on her dress.

 Things that Barbie taught me:

+ You CAN BE : a Vet, Singer, Race-car driver, Mommy, Interior Decorator, Dolphin Trainer, Artist, Designer, Chef at the same time (these are actual roles my Barbie played).

Fake it till you make it: No Barbie Jeep for the Beach trip? One opened VHS box (remember them?) an empty paper towel roll and tape and ta-da- Barbie and Skipper are crusin'.  Eventually, I recieved a Barbie RV... sweet.

+ You CAN GO anywhere: It's noon, where's your 3 year old?... At the beach, at the movies, on stage, at the zoo, at Grandma's house.

+ Be Fashion Forward : Paper towels with arm holes, colored with markers, and cinched at the waist with Ribbon are so in this season.  Getting bored with your locks?  Give your self fun streaks of color using markers and your G.Grandma's sewing shears to keep it interesting.  Have your Grandmother give Barbie a phone number tattoo on her back- so you can call her anytime.
Also- Barbie can pull off any look : cow girl, beach babe, fairy, movie star, and mom.

+  Men never dress up: Barbie is in a full length ball gown, complete with matching purse (since she can't clutch anything) and even has her gold glitter shoes on... Ken is in his jeans and tee with only one shoe.  :Barbie looks at Ken and rolls her eyes: Ken : " What?! This is all I have to wear."  Funny thing is : Ken is actually telling the truth.

+ Make time for fun : It's not easy being a Singer, Vet, Mommy of 5, Dolphin trainer and Artist : but Barbie always makes time to go to the beach and the ball.  Not to mention keeps her Dream house pretty neat.

 + Be a go-getter:  I can remember the Barbie Dream House, the Sports Car, the Jeep... I don't recall a "Wall St. Ken"  FUN FACT: Barbie has had 125 careers in her 50+ years.  You go girl! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...