Wednesday, November 2, 2011

stuffed baked potato soup

My fiance, loves panera.  I do too, but he really loves it.  It's pretty much a weekend lunch staple, we were there this weekend, and last, and the one before last.  Do you see where I'm going with this?

My favorite thing on the menu is the Baked Potato Soup.  It's so creamy and rich, with a smokey touch due to the ham, bacon, or both they use.  Last weekend I decided to set out to find a clone recipe for this amazing soup.

Mission accomplished, this is the recipe I used, I love forums because people post their modifications.  Here's how I modified this favorite into my own.  I will also post it on the forum I found the original.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 medium white onion, minced
  • 2 tsp janes krazy salt 
  • 1 tsp white pepper 
  • 1 tsp ground red pepper
  • 1 (8oz)cream cheese, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 pound bacon
  • 1 tbs chives
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  1. Mix broth, potatoes, onion and seasonings, omit the chives and save for bacon.  Boil on medium until potatoes are tender.
  2. While broth is cooking, fry 1/2 pound of bacon in an iron skillet with chives, until the bacon is crunchy.
  3. Crumble bacon with food processor and add to soup.
  4. With a potato smasher, smash potatoes to desired consistency, I like them creamy.
  5. Turn the soup to low and add the cream cheese, sour cream, and cheddar cheese individually.  Only add the next after the first has completely melted into the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...